Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Getting Started

Now, that I have chosen my research question and have my data, I will start analyzing the data. This week I was going to finish my data analysis toolbox. I was talking to my classmates and asked them which graphs I should use since I am comparing different samples or populations. If any one has any ideas, can you please comment? Also, I was working on my numerical summaries and I have some ideas what I want to do. My data section is completed:

o Who: People who took the ACT in Louisiana in the years between 2001 and 2007

    • What: The scores made during the time period of 2001 to 2007

o Why: The data was gathered to answer the question, “Did Hurricane Katrina affect the ACT scores in Louisiana?” Many students in Louisiana take the ACT every year. Many factors, outside of educational level, can contribute to the scores of the ACT. Southern Louisiana has faced many natural disasters, like hurricanes, that can lower the scores of the test. The results can also show whether northern parishes/districts were affected by the storms even though they were not directly hit.

    • When: The data was gathered in the years of 2001 to 2007
    • Where: The data was gathered in the entire state of Louisiana

o Whom: Cinnamon Mitchell of the Advanced Placement Statistic Class at Patrick Taylor Academy by locating the data in the Louisiana Almanac 2008-2009 Edition, Editor: Miburn Calhoun and Assistant Editor: Bernie McGovern

If you see any mistakes, please comment me about them.

1 comment:

  1. If 2001-2007 starts to seem like it's getting tiresome, I would cut down on the years a little bit.

    ReplyDelete